Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Organics, on steriods

I have been pretty careful about the foods that I give Eleanor. Like most parents I know, concern over genetically modified foods, the use of synthetic chemicals and pesticides, and unnatural or highly processed ingredients has meant that our children's (and Eleanor's) food has been relatively unadulterated.

On the plane from Amsterdam to Arusha I met a woman who offered to loan us a crib and, as quoted from her email, some "baby food jars." Having not long ago taken some empty jars from a friend to use as storage containers for the food I was making Eleanor, I took her up on the offer (since I had only two bowls with lids for food storage). Imagine my surprise, then, when she showed up with full jars of baby food, which I offered to pay for and which she promptly declined- so I simply thanked her.

When I finally got around to unpacking them this morning I was slightly embarrassed that I didn't do more than provide a meager verbal "Thank you" because I was floored by what I saw: not only was this baby food organic, suitable for vegetarians (depending on the flavor), free of added sugar or salt, gluten, milk proteins (depending on the flavor- as some had cheese), binding agents, or artificial additives, it was biodynamic. Yes,  you read that correctly.

When it comes to feeding your child healthy, and healthily grown, foods there's careful and then there's crazy. Although the food I received likely falls into the later category, I'm happily spooning away.
-kjd


3 comments:

  1. Wow. I had to look that one up. That's a new one to me and quite the find! Not your typical WalMart variety, eh? Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, dad, you're right. This is definitely not what most children around the world are eating. But like I said, it's free and I won't turn my nose up at that!

    ReplyDelete