Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

When in Rome

Although you're just as likely to see women wearing jeans and a t-shirt, many women in Arusha wear the traditional kenga, a brightly colored, bold patterned cloth which is used for everything from a skirt to headwrap to a child-carrying sling. The Maasai have equally recognizable dress: red (and blue) shukas, brightly colored beads (necklaces, bracelets, anklets and earings), and, if you are a warrior, a club and/or herding stick and/or spear.

Some travelers and expats adopt traditional dress, or at least parts of it, wearing a kenga house dress or several strings of Maasai beads. Personally, I'm a little weary of assuming the native attire- mostly because it makes me feel like an impostor, like I'm trying too hard.

With Eleanor, however, it's different. She asks for her Maasai tire sandals regularly and I have no problem obliging her request.



5 comments:

  1. Love 'em! Very "green," eh? (at least in terms of being recycled) And to think how many American's wouldn't be seen on the street in anything less than $150 sneakers! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see trying a pair of those on for size. Looks like you can make the fit your feet so easily. It sure beats walking on the hot sand. Tim can make me some for Christmas!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's funny about recycling. These shoes and nearly all children's toys are the only recycled things in this country. And mom, if you really want some tire sandals, I'm sure that can be arranged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a little Kenga for Eleanor? After all, when this is all said and done she will have lived there for half her life. Love the tire shoes - like Tanzanian birkenstocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim, Kiyah & Eleanor -
    I finally found a moment to check out y'alls blog and I've been missing much! Your fabulous photos take me back but this one in particular charmed me - I still have my original "samburu sandals" bought in 1988. Eleanor is beautiful and looks great with the dusty wind in her hair. It's lovely to see a second Fidelity street babe in Afrika Mashariki. As always, safari njema. tina

    ReplyDelete