Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finding our way

When Tim and I moved to North Carolina our first shopping experience was at the Carrboro Plaza Food Lion. We had just moved from Portland, Maine where most of our shopping was done at the brand new Hannaford, with its expanded natural food section, entire row of bulk goods, and expansive produce section. Thinking Food Lion our only shopping option, my heart sank. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly acceptable food...but it was no Hannaford. Slowly, however, Tim and I discovered Harris Teeter, and then Whole Foods and Weaver St (our local Co-op), and then the Farmers' Market (ahhhhh).

Walking into Shoprite, a South African run grocery store in Arusha, was a lot like walking into Food Lion. I was deeply saddened by the state of our food shopping options. But, slowly, we've been introduced to Pick 'n Pay, Rushda's, Meat King (for, you guessed it, meat), Dolly's (for fresh bread), and Yoka's. Yoka, a dutch born ex-pat, owns a farm on the eastern slope of Mount Meru. Every Tuesday and Friday she brings fresh produce from the farm to her home in town. Meeting Yoka was like meeting Alex Hitt and Ken Dawson (two of my favorite NC farmers). I was giddy...and our bounty impressive.

We are finding our way.
-kjd






4 comments:

  1. Nice looking produce, better then we see in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chard, cauliflower, onions, zucchini, potatoes, butternut squash, leeks, bananas and mangoes (!)...but I can't identify the bumpy magenta tuber-looking thingies. You guys are doing better than we are in terms of produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome guys! I'm sure finding your way to trusted produce sites is a huge relief. Sure wish we could find fresh, local grown this time of year--guess we'll have to move if that's the case! Icicles and snowmen we can do tho'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, the Food Lion...Every time I go in when I visit my parents in MD I get twitchy. Glad you guys have found some alternatives!

    ReplyDelete