Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

boring blog posts

When I was in college I studies abroad in Syndey, Australia. In my 6 months there I didn't once visit the Syndey Opera House. Not once. I kept thinking "Oh, I have plenty of time. I'll get there one day," and then  before I knew it I was on the plane home. I think this is not an unusual phenomenon: you move somewhere "exotic" and it quickly becomes so familiar that such attractions, which visitors are so want of seeing, simply become part of your everyday.

I have been struggling with writing a post for several days now. I come to the computer often, open a new post window, sit down in the still of nap time with a cup of coffee, and stare at the blank screen. I wait patiently for the idea to materialize, but nothing comes. I think this is because, lately, we are just living. No visitors, no safaris, no wild animals or trips to the bush. No natural disasters or illnesses (knock wood) or accidents. We haven't even picked up our camera in weeks.

Now that she's feeling better, Eleanor is becoming more comfortable with Asina. Tim is continuing to make headway on his research agenda. I am continuing to make headway on mine. We go grocery shopping, we make coffee in the morning and dinner in the evening, we play in the yard, we read (the same) childrens' books over and over and over and over. We are just living. I suppose this is a good thing; we're feeling more comfortable here. Or are we just complacent, resigned to the status quo?

Either way, it makes for pretty boring blog posts.
-kjd



5 comments:

  1. i think relieving is a better term than boring. so glad to hear everyone is doing better and that progress is being made on the all important work that brings you there. miss you so much. can you believe you're closer to your year there being half over than just starting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that life has become more subdue, I think you deserve that. Went to brunch today with Meghan ,Natalie, and Andrea. I just came back from a very intensive interview at Colorado State and wish you were here to talk to. I could use some Kiyah perspective. Talk soon, Alison and Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the past few weeks, I think "just living" is hardly a fitting desciptor. "Welcome respite," maybe . . . but not just living. Three months of adjustment, learning, settling in, battling illness ... WHEW! (Wears me out just thinking about it!) And I'll bet Africa "just living" differs GREATLY from the same thing in good ol' USA, yes? We drive a half mile to get virtually everthing needed for most any meal--one stop. Not exactly what I hear your experience to be. Maybe we can go with "just Africa living!?" G'pa D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we moved out to Maine there was a point when I too felt like we were just living, and not having everyday something totally new happening. It meant for me I had begun to turn a corner and not feel quite so foreign and homesick. So this is a great thing to recognize. I also then felt a little sad because not everything was all new and the adventure of it all was changing to something more normal and everyday. But I did welcome the knowing what I was up against. MOM

    ReplyDelete