Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Welcome our fourth family member

Her name is Illness.

For those of you (and I flatter myself here) avid readers of this blog you'll know that I have not posted in a while. I was hoping that by not writing about what's been happening at the Duffey-Baird household I would not legitimate it, but it seems that I can no longer pretend Illness is not here to stay. So, I should introduce her to our family and friends.

For a week now Eleanor has been throwing up, had diarrhea, been generally sluggish and cranky and not her happy, smiley self. She has not eaten solid food in a week. Thankfully, she has not had a fever, and t his is what has saved my metal stability from totally breaking down. The staff have attributed her continued symptoms to teething and the weather. Okay. The doctor, through our text messages, as this is how we communicate most often with him, has attributed them to a virus. Okay. I just want my baby back.

Her throwing up started the day that Tim left for the bush- a planned five day, four night trip. That first 12 hours, when her symptoms were at their worst, I spend the night in the pitch black (we lost power, of course) trying to catch her puke in a bucket or blanket so that it didn't go all over the bed, which would have necessitated my sleeping in it. Over the course of the next several days her symptoms subsided somewhat (although they have not gone completely), but on the day that Tim returned from the bush I spent most of it in bed with severe nausea.

Then, last night, three days after is return home, Tim was struck with chills, cold-sweats, diarrhea and severe nausea. I wish that I was kidding. I'm not.

I'm trying not to feel like this is Africa eating us for dinner. I'm trying not to use it as an excuse to run home, screaming, to mom and dad for help. I'm trying, really hard, to find all the reasons that we are facing this challenge- all the reasons that we are going to grow and have far superior immune systems to our friends state-side. So far, I'm coming up empty...but I'm not giving up.

Grudgingly, and reluctantly, I'm welcoming Illness to the family.
- kjd

3 comments:

  1. When it rains it pours? Wow! So by now you are "sick and tired" of people being sick and tired? Let's hope the new week brings new health to the Duffey/Baird compound. We're pulling for you Eleanor and Tim!! (And Kiyah, no need to follow their lead!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing my best, Dad, to remain healthy as an ox...or at least an African ox...which is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hope you guys are feeling better! Just keep thinking when everyone else's kid is getting sick all through pre-school and kindergarten Eleanor will have a superhuman immune system. That ALONE (plus the wicked cool pictures of her on safari) will be worth it all!

    ReplyDelete