Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

ashley - i am having fun, dammit!



i'll tell you - the time out at our camp is one of the single most authentic nature/culture experiences i have had on any of my trips. the setting is right out of out of africa... just bush, and animals, and huts, and the full moon, and us sitting around the fire plucking the strings of my travel guitar - slurping masala tea and talking about polygamy.
the markets are crazy - especially the slaughtering and meat roasting part of town.  the din of maasai language builds as you approach an area where 6 for 7 fires smolder and smoke staked carcasses that encircle them. in  one corner be-robed men scoop digested grass from stomachs and intestines... a dull green mulch which they sling back to the earth.  the wide eyes of severed goats' heads at my arm as I lean on the table seem to study me as we negotiate the price for a medium sized hind leg of goat ($5).  The smell is notable, but not as strong as you may imagine.  There isn't a tourist around for a hundred miles, but giraffe and zebra surround us just outside of  town.  I hop back in the driver's seat and we're off to the next thing... finding a cold glass bottle of coke (nearly as scarce as tourists, it turns out).


-tdb



1 comment:

  1. "Camping" on a grand scale, Tim! I have vivid images percolating through my (limited) grey matter of what the sights are like. Your year will be FILLED with these memories--how awesome!

    ReplyDelete