Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Even in the bathtub

You may recall from our first visit to Simanjiro, seeing Eleanor in a black and white necklace. This was a gift from a Maasai woman who one morning came to the boma. When we visited Gabrielle's home in Nainokanoka, his sisters made Eleanor another beaded necklace; this one with much smaller red and blue beads. His sisters, lovingly, presented this necklace to Eleanor and tied it around her neck. For a minute she was okay, but shortly thereafter had a meltdown that resulted in me having to break the necklace with my teeth, sending little beads rolling across the concrete floor, in an effort to get it off of her. She was terrified.

I was mortified. I had just destroyed a beautiful handmade gift from Gabrielle's family. I collected as many of the seed beads as I could, placed them in a little plastic ear plug container from my bathroom kit and told Tim (then Gabrielle) the whole, sad, story. Gabrielle laughed and said "They'll fix it." Ad they did: when we left Nainokanoka we had a single strand of beads with a clasp.

Since then, the necklace has been sitting around the house, in the hopes that Eleanor would become familiar and comfortable with it, as she did the first Maasai jewelry she was given. And she sure has. She now wears both of these necklaces everyday and everywhere.

Even in the bathtub.
- kjd

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, this story really, DEEPLY, touched my heart. Perhaps it's the time honored tradition that so many tribal peoples (our own indigenous people included) have for gift giving; how special it is to be presented with one of these gifts; how precious those gifts are, each in their own right; and how dang cute Eleanor is wearing the two she's received. What a fine tribute to her (first) Africa experience. I'm sure she'll treasure those necklaces for a lifetime. What beautiful stories, what lucky people. Thanks for the post. G'pa D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang cute indeed, the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really touched by your comment, dad. You are right about the significance and importance of gifts- and I'm very thankful that Eleanor has such an early experience receiving one (er, two) with so much meaning, and love, behind it. And I agree with you both; she is quite cute wearing them. But I'm her mother, and admittadly a little biased.

    ReplyDelete