Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Goodbye ISM

Wednesday Tim left for a 6 night trip to the field. Eleanor and I didn't go, despite having talked about making at least part of the trip with him, because he departure happened to fall on the last weekly playgroup at the International School in Arusha. Our favorite weekly playgroup has come to an end.

I have talked about this playgroup before; it happens in the early learning classroom at the school. Each week the teacher and teaching assistants keep their doors open for an extra two hours, haul out the paints and easels, the play dough table, the water station and sand toys, and spread coffee and tea for the moms. The playgroup ends in a big circle, with everyone singing nursery rhymes like The Itsy-Bitsy Spider and If You're Happy and You Know It. I've said it once, and I'll say it again...Eleanor and I loved this playgroup.

I felt a little guilty not making the trip with Tim just because a playgroup was ending, but saying goodbye to this weekly activity was like saying good bye to a close friend- many friends actually- and I'm sure that there are several women and children I will see far less frequently now. And I know that there are many I will never see again. Already, our time here is ending. It's a curious, bitter-sweet and somber feeling.

Goodbye ISM.
-kjd

 Eleanor watches a teaching assistant.

Kids at the water station...

...and on the playground.
 
 Nannies, moms and babies.


 Eleanor in the sandbox, her favorite place after the swings.

 Friends Lux (left) and Millie.

 Playing in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Kristen and I work on a popular American TV show about people who have recently relocated abroad. For our upcoming season, we are hoping to find people who have relocated to Tanzania. In my research, I came across your blog and am reaching out to you in hopes you might be able to help me find participants for our show.

    House Hunters International tells the story of an individual, couple or family who has bought property outside of their native country. Being on our show is a lot of fun for our participants and a great way for them to document their exciting search for a home and new life abroad. It's also a very positive show which offers a wonderful opportunity to inform our viewers about interesting countries and cultures worldwide.

    We’re currently looking to cast people who have recently relocated and have bought or are currently looking for a home in Southern Africa. If you fit this qualification or know anyone who does, I would love to tell you more about the project. You can contact me at househunterscasting@leopardfilms.com.

    We would love to film our first ever episode in Tanzania this year, so I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete