Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

more about food

Several of my early posts were about food- what I could get, what I couldn't; what I was longing for and what I'd newly discovered. I like cooking. I like experimenting with new recipes. I like writing about food. So why, I thought recently, am I not doing more of that?

A friend in Arusha recently turned me on to a new food/cooking blog, which has reinvigorated me with enthusiasm for cooking. I attribute this in large part to (a) the number of recipes that use lentils, which we get in great abundance here (lentils that I've never heard of and certainly never cooked with) and (b) the fact that, for the most part, I can get the necessary ingredients.

One recipe that first caught my eye was a Coconut Red Lentil Soup, which I've now made several times. The lentils and split peas are beautiful in their own right, and provide nice body and texture to the coconut curry base. I've taken to adding diced avocado as well as the suggested green onions and cilantro before serving; it adds a cooling balance to the spice and warmth of the soup. A few roasted seeds (sunflower or squash) might be nice too, for a little extra crunch (if you're into that kind of thing!).
-kjd




1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm. Looks good! Wish we could stop over for a cup or bowl! G'pa D

    ReplyDelete