Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

family dinners

Eleanor likes communal eating. Well, perhaps a more realistic statement is that Eleanor likes eating what you're eating- not what mom has spent 30 minutes preparing for her to eat. The staff cook, Yuda, has even taken to preparing a little extra food for her, so that she and Asina can sit and eat lunch with them. This weekend we returned from shopping to find a little to-go container of rice and beans at the bottom of the stairs; for Eleanor, from Yuda.

In an effort to save time, because Tim and I ended up eating so late in the evenings (it wasn't until I had put Eleanor to sleep that I was able to start on dinner, which generally meant we ended up eating sometime between 8 and 9 pm), and because Eleanor seems to prefer dining with friends, I decided it was time to institute family dinners.

Although I haven't managed to pull it together every night of the week (surely that's going to take some practice, right?), the times that I have managed to put a hot meal on the table that's both delicious (for us parents anyway) and kid-friendly have been a relative success- which is to say that even if she doesn't devour the food, Eleanor sits happily at the table long enough for us all to enjoy the dining experience.
-kjd 

On the menu last night: roasted cherry tomato,bell pepper, and leek quiche.


Oh, the anticipation.

First bites.

4 comments:

  1. First, what an awesome photo that #2 is! You can just sense the anticipation! "Ew, I just can't wait!" Secondly, the quiche looks SPLENDID! Wish we'd been there to share it! Dad/Grandpa D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was pretty excited for her slice of the pie. Of course, she mostly played with it, but I do think that a few pieces made it all the way to her stomach. And yes, the quiche was pretty good, if I do say so myself. Not bad for mostly trying to clean out the fridge. As for sharing it with us, I'm already plotting ways to make it gluten and dairy free (potato slices for pie crust and coconut milk instead of cow's) for our return home, so you'll be able to at least share in a version of it!
    -kjd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for children of pretty much the first 10 years the family dining is all about time with mom and dad not the food. You may luck out sometimes with the food being edible. I will be looking like Eleanor when you make that meal! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're starting to do this too! we find that as long as there are noodles involved, we can have a nice peaceful meal which eli gobbles.

    ReplyDelete