Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

beans, beans, the magical fruit

I have at least once written about the plethora of dried beans and legumes available in and around Arusha. Given the ease of acquiring them, the fact that Tim and I are eating a lot less meat, the fact that they are "little fingers" friendly, and the fact that they are relatively inexpensive, I try to incorporate them into our meals as often as possible.

Two of my favorite go-to lunch-time recipes have become versions adapted from this pan-toasted chick pea salad and this 3-bean salad (which I've officially turned into 4-bean salad). They are equally delicious, nutritious, and easy to prepare-- and my family loves them. Although, preparing them does leave me humming a song from my childhood; Molly, I bet you know the one...
-kjd

Pre-mixing: pan toasted chick peas and leeks, chopped cilantro and red onion, and a curried-yogurt dressing.

 From Top: green, cannellini, and red kidney beans, and chick peas. All are topped with a honey-balsamic dressing and toasted almonds.

5 comments:

  1. We dined on these salads while visiting and I LOVED them. In fact, the chickpea-leek salad is on the menu at the O'Brien-Andrew's household this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah chick peas! Have you been able to sneak the roasted butternut squash salad past David again?
    -kjd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiyah, I sent the link for the 3-bean salad to Brady and then almost wised that I hadn't. He sounded so excited about it that I am afraid that he will try it without me! Thanks for sharing!

    -Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsie!

    So great to see a comment from you. I hope you do try the recipe with Brady...it is one of Tim's favorites! I hope you guys are well, where are you?!
    -kjd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in Germany for the next week or so working on a collaboration. Brady is always looking for filling vegetarian dishes to take for lunch, as the preschool that he teaches at doesn't allow meat. We are both doing well, and I was thinking that we should make plans to see you before we leave the Virginia (who knows when... hopefully this winter!). Maye we should make a road trip to Maine while you are there...

    -Kelsie

    ReplyDelete