Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Screen Time

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends zero screen time for children under 2 years. None. Zero. Zilch. Greater screen time is associated with reduced time spent in physical activity, a higher likelihood for requesting advertised products, poorer school performance, increased behavioral problems, and increased risk for "at risk for overweight" and overweight (which are the official terms used for overweight and obesity in children).

Up until a few months ago I wouldn't have thought twice about there needing to be a recommendation for this- we don't have a television in our home and don't own childrens' videos or have portable DVD players or a Playstation or X-Box or Nintedo or an Atari (remember Atari?!) or whatever it is that children have these days.  But then I found the airplane video which I used one day in a desperate attempt to keep Eleanor entertained long enough to get dinner on the table while Tim was out in the field, and since then she has continued to ask for more. 

I realize that I am on a slippery slope here, especially by giving in to her requests, but I also recognize that NO SCREEN TIME, particularly as she gets older, is not realistic (imagine the fun we'd miss experiencing films like Wall-E or UP with our children) and could ultimately have lasting and unintended consequences. Do I really want to completely deny my children the ability to participate in a thoughtful discussion about Seinfeld or The Simpsons as major social forces in the late 20th Century or the opportunity to laugh (for the 100th time) at Arrested Development. No. I do not.

So while I still cringe each time I start up the computer, I...scratch that...we are making a concerted effort to set limits to Eleanor's screen time, which thankfully is very easy to do. At least for now. She is allowed one of two things: "For the Birds" from Pixar or something from Sesame Street. And I have to admit, even Tim and I can't get enough of this Sesame Street video/song called What I Am. I actually look forward to singing along, with Eleanor dancing on my lap. 
-kjd



[NOTE: For those interested, Dr. David Walsh provides excellent information and running commentary on the effect of screen time on childrens' physical and mental well being. You can find his blog here.]


2 comments:

  1. Get that girl hooked on the TV right now! You have a 24 hour journey ahead of you with personal TV's at every seat and like a bazillion movies/TV shows to choose from. Then wean her once you get home (since you'll be in the weaning business anyway...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me...weaning...
    -kjd

    ReplyDelete