Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

home sweet home

After nearly 34 hours of travel, Eleanor, Kean (my brother) and I arrived safely in Boston. It was a remarkably easy series of flights and thanks to the playrooms in both the Nairobi and Amsterdam airports I had a relatively happy child the whole way.

We are now in Western MA, in the Berkshires. I am reminded of why I love New England, especially in the fall. The leaves have shed their uniform green and are displaying the full spectrum of colors that make them who they are. The weather is remarkably warm, and there is no shortage of rocks, plants, seed pods, and blades of grass to entertain Eleanor's imagination. We are staying in a lovely old home with dear friends from college, taking long walks and bike rides, and drinking wine in front of the fire. Today's mission: buy 200 apples for welcome bags. Look out local apple orchards!

If it weren't for Tim's absence, it would be pretty much perfect. 
-kjd

5 comments:

  1. So good to hear you made it alright! But, waaaaaa, miss you guys! Your absence has been felt quickly... I didn't even go to ISM today in pure protest (ok, ok, the car isn't working very well!). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! YAY! YAY!

    And also: BOOOO! (That's for you, Tim)

    Yes, I know there are more YAYs than BOOOOs. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too want to say YAY and BOO, though in equal portions. I miss you guys terribly but I'm so happy you're home safely. Please keep blogging... our "year in Africa" doesn't end until I'm home!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. also - where'd you get such a brilliant picture of arusha?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY and BOO.

    I couldn't have said it better myself. I miss everyone who has been left behind, and am so excited to see everyone who is here. And am so excited to see those of you who are in NC not MA or ME. But I'm so glad that I get to do that with Tim at my side.

    And don't worry Tim...more posts to come.
    -kjd

    ReplyDelete